Miss Kentucky Basketball 2001
Miss Kentucky Basketball 2001, Katie Schwegmann, a 5-foot-10 guard, signed a national letter-of-intent to attend Miami University and join the women’s basketball program beginning the 2001-2002 season.
Katie is the 4th highest scorer in 10th Region Tournament History. She holds numerous records and accolades at Bishop Brossart.
Katie is the daughter of Greg and Pat Schwegman with siblings Jill, Greg Jr. and Susan. Greg Sr. also played at BBHS from 1967-70 and is currently 5th on the all-time scoring list. Katie’s basketball career began at an early age, playing with the boy’s teams at St. Joseph Camp Springs though 4th grade. She moved over to St. Phillip in 5th grade to play on the girls teams through 7th grade. As an 8th grader, she was afforded the opportunity to join the Lady Mustangs, embarking on a legendary career.
As a freshman, she scored the most points in the 10th Region Tournament, a distinction that she repeated as a sophomore and senior. Katie is the 4th highest scorer in 10th Region Tournament history. At BBHS, Katie holds numerous records and accolades.
Katie’s career at Bishop Brossart culminated in 2001, by receiving the highest honor a player can receive in the state of Kentucky when she was selected Miss Kentucky Basketball. She was presented with the #1 jersey and wore it during the Kentucky/Indiana All-Star games. Katie accepted a scholarship offer to play at Miami University in Oxford, OH, where she became the first ever Miss Basketball from any state to play for the Redhawks.
Later, Katie graduated from Miami University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science and went on to Mount St. Joe in Cincinnati to obtain her Master’s Degree in Physical Therapy. She currently resides in Camp Springs with her husband, Randy Steffen, and they have two boys. Katie is a PT/Therapy Supervisor at OrthCincy in Edgewood, KY
BBHS AWARDS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Most games played: 159
- Total points: 2917
- Points per game: 18.3
- 3pt. FG: 162
- Career 3pt. FGP: 32.7%
- Shares the record for most points in a game: 42
- Shares the record for most 3 pointers in a game (6) with four other Lady ‘Stangs, including her niece Olivia Lloyd.
- Member of the 1999 team that won the All “A” State Championship and still holds the record for the most wins in a season: 30
- Member of the 2000 All “A” State Runner-up team, as well as the 2001 10th Regio Championship
AWARDS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- 2001 Miss Kentucky Basketball
- 4th highest scorer in 10th Region Tournament history
- 2 Time Street and Smith Magazine All-American
- 3 Time AP All State selection
- NKAC Player of the Year
- KBC 10th Region Player of the Year
- Louisville Courier Journal Player of the Year
- Gatorade Player of the Year
- Pepsi Cola Player of the Year
- USA Today Player of the Year
- 3 Time selection as MVP All “A” State Tournament
- 4 Time selection on All-Conference/All-District/All Regional Teams